Heard about the YouTube Partner Program? Wondering if you can make money on YouTube? You’re in the right place.
So, let’s cut to the chase:
The good news? Once you become a YouTube partner, you can start earning money from your videos. The not-so-good news? You need to meet the YouTube Partner Program requirements first.
Okay, but what is the Partner Program? What are the requirements to join? And how much does the Program pay?
Keep reading to find out.
In This Article
- 1 What is the YouTube Partner Program?
- 2 What is a YouTube Partner?
- 3 How Does the YouTube Partner Program Work?
- 4 What are the YouTube Partner Program Requirements
- 4.1 How Many Subscribers Do You Need to Become a YouTube Partner?
- 4.2 How Many Views Do You Need to Become a YouTube Partner?
- 4.3 What Are the YouTube Partner Program Countries?
- 4.4 What Are the YouTube Partner Program Policies?
- 4.5 What is a Google AdSense Account, and Why Is It a YouTube Partner Requirement?
- 5 How to Join the YouTube Partner Program
- 6 What is the YouTube Partner Program Approval Time?
- 7 How Much Does the YouTube Partner Program Pay?
- 8 Summary: YouTube Partner Program 2020
What is the YouTube Partner Program?
Also known as “YPP,” the YouTube Partner Program provides video creators with the ability to monetize their videos and access additional resources to help them grow their channels. To join the program, creators must meet the YouTube partner requirements.
What is a YouTube Partner?
A YouTube partner is simply a person or channel that has officially signed up to the YPP. Typically, YouTube partners are serious about growing their subscribers and views by creating and promoting the best videos they can. The most successful YouTube partners often grow their channel into a full-time business.
How Does the YouTube Partner Program Work?
Members of the YouTube Partner Program create and publish videos on their channels. They’ll then work to promote these videos and their channel in various ways, such as social media marketing and collaborations with other YouTubers.
YouTube will automatically display advertisements on partners’ channels and videos for viewers to see. There are a few different types of ads, and YouTube partners can choose which ones to display on their videos.
Each time someone watches their videos or clicks on an ad, the YouTube Partner Program pays creators a small fee.
Here’s the best part: YouTube handles all of the advertising for creators so they can focus on making and promoting their videos.
It’s important to note that creators can only earn money from original videos that adhere to the YouTube Partner Program terms. For example, creators can’t make money from videos containing copyrighted music.
The YouTube Partner Program is an optional service, and any creator can join for free.
What are the YouTube Partner Program Requirements
Want to become a YouTube Partner? There are five YouTube Partner Program requirements you must meet:
- More than 1,000 subscribers
- More than 4,000 hours of watch time within the past 12 months
- Live in a country or region where the YouTube Partner Program is available
- The channel and content must adhere to the YouTube Partner Program policies
- A linked Google AdSense account
Let’s take a closer look at these YouTube partnership requirements.
How Many Subscribers Do You Need to Become a YouTube Partner?
The YouTube Partner Program requires you to have at least 1,000 subscribers before you’re able to monetize your channel.
Now, there are online services that “sell subscribers,” but using these services goes against YouTube’s policy and can result in your account being closed.
So, you must grow your subscriber base organically by creating and promoting valuable content. This way, you’ll build a community of real-life fans who will continue to watch and support you.
How Many Views Do You Need to Become a YouTube Partner?
You need to have more than 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months to join the YouTube Partner Program.
Again, any attempts to purchase views or boost your watch hours through artificial means is a recipe for disaster.
Take it slow, and work hard to create the best videos you can. Promote your videos, collaborate with others, and engage your growing community. With time, it’s possible for you to reach this YouTube partner requirement.
What Are the YouTube Partner Program Countries?
To join the program, you need to live in one of the YouTube Partner Program countries or regions. Currently in 2020, there are 118 YouTube Partner Program countries and regions – here’s the full list for reference:
What Are the YouTube Partner Program Policies?
Your channel and content must also adhere to the YouTube Partner Program policies. These include:
- Community Guidelines
- Terms of Service
- Google AdSense program policies
- Advertiser-friendly content guidelines
What is a Google AdSense Account, and Why Is It a YouTube Partner Requirement?
Google owns YouTube, and it’s Google that runs the advertising part of YouTube. In order to get paid you need to be on Google’s payment platform. This platform is called Google AdSense. You can link your AdSense account to your YouTube account to get paid.
How to Join the YouTube Partner Program
Here’s how to join the YouTube Partner Program, step-by-step.
- Head to YouTube and click on your profile picture in the top-right of the screen
- On the drop-down menu, click “YouTube Studio”
- Then click “Monetization” in the sidebar menu on the left of the screen
- In the Monetization section, click on the blue button that says “Enable My Account”
- Read and agree to the YouTube Partner Program monetization agreement
- Choose the types of ads you’d like to display on your videos and click “Monetize”
- Then, set up a Google AdSense account and link it to your channel
(Alt tag. Join YouTube Partner Program)
If you don’t meet the YouTube Partner Program requirements, you can click “Notify Me When I’m Eligible” under the monetization tab.
What is the YouTube Partner Program Approval Time?
Once you’ve applied to join, you’ll need to wait for your channel to be approved. The YouTube Partner Program approval time varies, but YouTube says, “The majority of applications receive an update in less than 30 days.”
It takes this long because each application has to be reviewed manually. Before welcoming you to the program, the person reviewing your application will check that your channel and videos meet the YouTube Partner Program criteria.
Sometimes this process can take more than a month, and unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do to speed up your application.
While you wait, keep creating and sharing videos to engage your audience and grow your channel!
How Much Does the YouTube Partner Program Pay?
Creators earn different amounts of money depending on many factors, such as the number of views, how many times viewers click on ads, and the niche. For example, business-related content often sees higher returns than videos aimed at children. One thing to note is that there is no certainty that you will earn money through this program. It is not a passive income strategy. You will need to invest in creating and promoting your content in order to have the opportunity to earn money this way.
Okay, but how much will the YouTube Partner Program pay you? To get some rough estimates, consider using a YouTube monetization tool, such as:
- Influencer Marketing Hub’s YouTube Money Calculator
- Influenex’s Estimated YouTube Money Calculator
- Sellfy’s YouTube Money Calculator (featured in the image below)
Summary: YouTube Partner Program 2020
The YouTube Partner Program provides a way for creators to earn money from videos and access YouTube resources to grow their channels.
Want to become a YouTube Partner? There are five YouTube Partnership requirements that you must meet first. You will need
- More than 1,000 subscribers
- Over 4,000 hours of watch time in the last 12 months
- To live in one of the YouTube Partner Program countries or regions
- To adhere to the YouTube Partner Program policies
- A linked Google AdSense account
To join the program, head to the YouTube Studio dashboard and click “Monetization” in the left-hand sidebar. YouTube says it usually takes less than 30 days for your application to be reviewed.
Gaining entry to the YouTube Partner Program is an achievement in itself. So, if you don’t meet the YouTube partner requirements yet, don’t worry. Just keep creating content and working on your channel!